Notice: In Half 1 of a two-part collection, Rick Wagner shines a highlight on federal businesses demonstrating resiliency to reply and rebound from 2020 challenges and reimagine a way forward for innovation and transformation.
As we look forward to the shut of 2020 and the start of a brand new yr and administration, I’m extra excited than ever to be main our 3,000-member Microsoft Federal workforce. Fashioned in July – the identical time I got here aboard – this new group displays Microsoft’s dedication to, and funding in, federal authorities businesses and the specialised companions who be part of us in supporting their mission-critical work.
On this yr of unprecedented challenges, we’ve seen U.S. authorities businesses reply to the well being and financial disaster posed by a worldwide pandemic, civil unrest over policing and racial justice points, raging wildfires, catastrophic hurricanes and extra. In contrast to the personal sector, the enterprise of presidency is at all times open, particularly throughout occasions of uncertainty, adversity and disruption. I’m impressed by the pace of federal businesses to deal with evolving calls for whereas advancing authorities and our nation. I’m additionally proud that Microsoft Federal saved tempo with our prospects in utilizing expertise as a core enabler for improvements that serve everybody.
Management, resiliency, momentum
Federal businesses are demonstrating management, resiliency and momentum in constructing options for a number of the most urgent problems with 2020. That’s why our Microsoft Government Leaders Summit digital broadcast on Dec. 7 is targeted on empowering mission and management resiliency. With our trusted cloud, AI and different modern capabilities, federal organizations are shortly tackling coronavirus points to make sure seamless supply of vital providers and continuity of operations. For instance:
Assembly various missions
Whereas the pandemic requires nice agility and resiliency, federal businesses additionally moved ahead throughout a number of fronts to higher meet their various missions, comparable to:
- Veterans Affairs, Microsoft, Medivis and Verizon joined forces in February as Project Convergence to determine the nation’s first 5G-enabled hospital on the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. Not solely will this public-private partnership lead to 5G-based improvements, however it is going to create alternatives to enhance veteran healthcare by leveraging the ability of Microsoft HoloLens 2and our Azure cloud. USA Today lately highlighted this initiative, with Susie Adams capturing its affect: “Docs can be empowered to plan and carry out reside surgical procedures, see ultrasounds in 3D, and prepare medical doctors, surgeons and nurses to study and perceive human anatomy in new methods.”
- Microsoft is partnering with the U.S. Air Force to support its mission via extra fashionable IT options, together with Microsoft 365, Groups and Azure. The transfer is permitting the Air Force to scale extra simply, enhance cloud efficiency, and empower higher cross-agency collaboration and communication whereas complying with strict DOD necessities.
- With two tropical storms headed for the Gulf Coast, we partnered with a S. Navy workforce over the Aug. 22–23 weekend to successfully deploy an enhanced weather model in a production-like Microsoft Azure surroundings. Able to quickly scaling climate and ocean sample predictions on demand, the system confirmed the potential of utilizing our safe cloud to ship quicker, real-time tropical cyclone forecasts.
- Scientists on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are working with Microsoft to make use of AI and machine studying to assist monitor endangered beluga whales, threatened ice seals and polar bears. GCN reported that our AI-powered fashions lowered evaluation time by a formidable 93%.
We’re working with the federal authorities to speed up progress in different methods, comparable to The First Five Consortium with the Department of Energy to develop disaster-response AI instruments that assist first responders shortly handle floods, wildfires and windstorms. The Wall Street Journal defined the title as a reference to “the significance of the primary 5 minutes in responding to a pure catastrophe,” and Susie Adams famous our Azure cloud and AI fashions can be used to research huge and disparate information units in actual time to assist first responders higher allocate assets or inform the general public.
Microsoft Federal and our trade workforce are happy to collaborate with the DOD in advancing microelectronics expertise and strengthening the American microelectronics industrial base via the Rapid Assured Microelectronics Prototypes (RAMP) using Advanced Commercial Capabilities Project. We consider RAMP is important to defending nationwide safety, sustaining U.S. technological management and strengthening the economic system.
We additionally hope the trail is quickly cleared to start the important work on the DOD’s Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure (JEDI), offering quick, responsive, versatile and adaptive cloud providers to customers in any respect classification ranges. Initially announced Oct. 25, 2019 however stymied by litigation, we stay dedicated to delivering one of the best expertise, the best worth to our men and women in uniform, and the best pace to adoption, innovation, functionality and scale.
Reply, get well, reimagine
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has been widely attributed with seeing the world going via three pandemic phases: reply, get well and reimagine. As evidenced by the above examples, federal businesses have efficiently responded to preliminary COVID-19 impacts and at the moment are rebounding via collaboration and modernization with safe cloud and AI options. We’re additionally seeing nice strides to form a way forward for financial development, transformation, and elevated public belief and confidence.
For greater than 40 years, Microsoft has supported federal businesses as they fulfill missions and create extra environment friendly, efficient authorities. Microsoft Federal is totally devoted to persevering with our firm’s historical past of serving because the trusted companion to authorities prospects as they digitally rework, reimagine tomorrow and obtain extra for all of us.
Please be part of us for the first-ever digital Microsoft Government Leaders Summit, 10 a.m. to midday ET, Dec. 7. Register at present to listen to from:
- Microsoft’s Satya Nadella, Brad Smith, Toni Townes-Whitley, myself and others discussing the federal government panorama and what’s wanted to deal with essentially the most urgent points for federal businesses.
- Federal leaders who’re responding to vary and recovering via collaboration and modernization.
- Creator and historian Walter Isaacson, sharing insights on the management and resiliency methods that powered nice historic transformations throughout difficult occasions – and the way these classes can present a roadmap for leaders in occasions of utmost disruption.