Microsoft has formally congratulated Joe Biden on his win over Donald Trump within the US Presidential elections.
In 2016, as the US emerged from an in depth and contentious nationwide election, we revealed a weblog on the necessity to discover new methods for the nation to move forward together. As we mirrored that yr on the election of Donald Trump, we began with an easy proposition, saying:
“Each president-elect deserves our congratulations, greatest needs and help for the nation as a complete. The peaceable transition of energy has been an everlasting and very important a part of our democracy for over two centuries, and it stays so at the moment.”
4 years later, these phrases aren’t any much less vital. As we did in 2016, we provide at the moment our congratulations to the brand new President- and Vice-President-Elect: Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
Election Day this yr became a really lengthy and tense election week, with many People glued to their screens anxiously awaiting the end result. It has been commonplace to listen to pundits speculate that we’ve seldom appeared such a divided nation. If true, this additionally makes a distinct proposition much more self-evident. If we’re to maneuver ahead as a nation, we should construct new bridges to shut the gaps that divide us.
At Microsoft, we consider that People share extra frequent floor than many pundits acknowledge, significantly in terms of expertise points. On many of those issues, there is a chance to separate insurance policies from politics so we are able to make an actual distinction in folks’s lives. Think about the next:
- A transparent lesson from Covid-19 is that entry to expertise has develop into indispensable in an more and more digital world. This begins with digital units, however rapidly extends to high-speed web entry. Broadband has develop into the electrical energy of the 21st century, very important for all the pieces from sufferers needing telehealth consultations to youngsters who’re attending faculty from residence. At this time, too many rural households discover there is no such thing as a broadband service obtainable, whereas too many underprivileged city households discover no broadband service that’s reasonably priced. A nation that may not tolerate hundreds of thousands of People dwelling with out electrical energy ought to not settle for hundreds of thousands of households with out broadband.
- Technology-fueled automation more and more impacts all of our jobs. Digital instruments, knowledge analytics and synthetic intelligence (AI) have the potential to make virtually all of us in each job class extra profitable – however provided that we’ve simpler entry to the brand new digital abilities which might be more and more indispensable to the roles of the long run. This has develop into very important for first-line in addition to data staff, creating advantages for these in very important positions that vary from well being care to manufacturing to the nation’s retailers. But we enter the 2020s following 20 years of declining after which stagnating employer investments in workforce coaching, and post-secondary schooling that has left too many college students confronting debt and not using a diploma. We have to make digital abilities obtainable to everybody.
- Throughout the political spectrum, People share not only a dedication to, however a reverence for, democracy. But the well being of democracy at the moment depends not simply on particular person acts of voting. It requires fixed vigilance and an efficient collective protection in opposition to cyber-based assaults on candidates and voting techniques, and disinformation campaigns in opposition to the general public itself. At Microsoft, this led us this election cycle to work throughout the political aisle to guard Republican and Democratic candidates alike. We conclude this election yr much more satisfied of the significance of utilizing expertise to guard not simply the democratic course of, however our basic freedoms. Greater than ever, we want ongoing expertise innovation and stronger partnerships throughout the private and non-private sectors to raised defend democracy.
- Throughout a time when our day by day lives rely so closely on digital units, belief in expertise has develop into a difficulty of paramount significance. Individuals of all political backgrounds care deeply concerning the privateness of their knowledge and the safety of their web providers. The questions round belief in expertise proceed to develop into much more multifaceted, now additionally together with digital security and accountable practices for AI. But we proceed to reside with a nationwide digital privateness legislation enacted within the dial-up period of the 1980s, and in terms of points resembling safeguards for facial recognition, we’ve no nationwide legislation in any respect. We’d like new legal guidelines match for the long run.
- No matter political celebration, folks need our financial system to prosper. The 20th century noticed expertise innovation not simply spur productiveness development however unfold its advantages broadly – to each state and to most industries, creating the inspiration for a broadening center class. As an organization that gives so many productiveness and different digital providers for companies of all sizes, we’ve a transparent window into the necessity for a brand new and related wave of broader productiveness development. We consider that expertise innovation must create extra enterprise alternatives for each a part of the financial system in addition to ushering in a brand new period for enhanced public sector providers and efficiencies.
After we think about all these points, it’s obvious that there are alternatives to construct new bridges between us and to strengthen the ties that bind us in frequent objective. All these challenges are ripe for bipartisan collaboration and for presidency and trade cooperation.
This chance to construct new bridges extends to the worldwide enviornment as nicely. We reside in a decade that has began with a virus that respects no border and carbon that strikes within the environment not simply from nation to nation, however from continent to continent. An increasing number of of the problems of our day require stronger collaboration between the US and the remainder of the world.
None of which means the variations that divide People are unimportant. We reside with totally different views on many basic points. As an organization, we’ve not shied away from controversies that we care about, whether or not they contain racial fairness, immigration or local weather change. Beneath every of the final two American presidents, we discovered that we had been served greatest by efforts to companion the place we are able to, whereas standing aside the place we must always. And we’ll proceed with this strategy.
Alongside the way in which, we’ve discovered that we’ve way more alternatives to companion throughout the political spectrum than most individuals acknowledge. However we have to transfer from debates about why we can’t succeed to conversations about how we are able to. The extra bridges we are able to cross collectively, the extra we probably will discover that People of all backgrounds in each state and county share way more in frequent than we at present respect.
As we glance to the following 4 years, this could give us not solely motive for hope, however trigger for optimism.