I lately moved my residence NAS over from a Synology DS1511 that I acquired in Could of 2011 to a DS1520 that simply got here out.
I’ve blogged in regards to the pleasure of getting a house server over these final almost 10 years in quite a lot of posts.
That migration to the brand new Synology is full, and I used the prevailing 2TB Seagate drives from earlier than. These had been Seagate 2TB Barracudas that are fairly reasonably priced. They don’t seem to be NAS rated although, and I am beginning to generate a LOT of video since working from residence. I’ve additionally lately setup Synology Active Backup on the machines in the home, so everybody’s system is imaged weekly, plus I’ve acquired our G-Suite accounts backed up domestically.
REFERRAL LINKS: I exploit Amazon hyperlinks in posts like this. Whenever you use them, you are supporting this weblog, my writing, and serving to pay for internet hosting. Thanks!
I needed to get dependable massive drives which are additionally NAS-rated (vibration and responsibility cycle) and the candy spot proper for LARGE drives now could be a 10TB Seagate IronWolf NAS drive. You can too get 4TB drives for below $100! I am “working a enterprise” right here so I’ll deduct these drives and make the funding so I acquired four drives. I may have additionally acquired two 18TBs, or three 12TBs to comparable impact. These drives might be added to the pool and grow to be a RAID’ed roughly 21TB.
My Synology was working the ext4 file system on Volume1, so the method emigrate two all new drives and an all new file system was very handbook, however very potential:
- Use a spare slot and add one drive.
- I had a sizzling spare in my 5 drive NAS so I eliminated it to make a spare slot. At this level I’ve my 4x2TB and 1x10TB in slots.
- Make a brand new Storage Pool on the one drive
- Make a brand new Quantity with the newer Btrfs file system to get snapshots, self-healing, and higher mirroring.
- Copy all the pieces from Volume1 to Volume2.
- I copied from my /volume1 to /volume2. I made all new shares that had been “Videos2” and “Software2” with the intention to rename them to be the primaries later.
- Take away Volume1 by eradicating a drive at a time till the Synology decides it is “failed” and could be completely forgotten.
- As I eliminated a 2TB drive, I change it with a 10TB and expanded the brand new Storage Pool and the Volume2. These expansions take time as there is a full consistency examine.
- Repeat this step for every drive.
- You possibly can both depart a single drive as Volume1 and preserve your Synology Functions on them, or you’ll be able to
- After I’ve eliminated the ultimate Storage Pool (as seen within the pic under) and my apps are both reinstalled on Quantity 2 or I’ve moved them, I renamed all my shares from “Software2” and so forth to Software, eradicating the appended “2.”
The wholes course of took just a few days with checkpoints in between. Be able to have a plan, go sluggish, and execute on that plan, checking in because the file system consistency checks itself.
To be clear, one other approach would have been to repeat EVERYTHING off to a single exterior drive, torch the entire Synology set up, set up the brand new drives, and replica again to the brand new set up. There would have been a momentary threat there, with the one exterior holding all the pieces. It is as much as you, relying in your definitions of “straightforward” and “trouble.” My approach was considerably tedious, however comparatively threat free. Web internet – it labored. Contemplate what works for you earlier than you do something drastic. Make a LOT OF BACKUPS. Apply the Backup Rule of Three.
Be aware you CAN take away all however one drive from a Synology because the “OS” appears to be mirrored on every drive. Nonetheless, your apps are virtually at all times on /volume1/@apps
Some Synology units have 10Gbs connectors, however the one I’ve has 4x1Gbs. Subsequent, I will Link Aggregate those 4 ports, and with a 10Gbps desktop community card be cable to at get 300-400Mb/s disk entry between my important Desktop and the NAS.
The Seagate drives have labored nice up to now. My solely criticism is that the drives are considerably louder (clickier) than their Western Digital counterparts. This is not an issue because the NAS is in a closet, however I believe I might discover the sound if I had four or 5 drives going full velocity with the NAS sitting on my desk.
Listed below are my different Synology posts:
Hope this helps!
Sponsor: Have you ever tried developing in Rider but? This quick and feature-rich cross-platform IDE improves your code for .NET, ASP.NET, .NET Core, Xamarin, and Unity functions on Home windows, Mac, and Linux.